Johnson County Christmas Bureau Holiday Shop
The Johnson County Christmas Bureau's 2011 Holiday Shop will be in the Great Mall of the Great Plains in Olathe, 20050 W. 151st St., Dec. 2–10.
At the Holiday Shop, 12,500 low-income individuals from 3,350 families will select from an assortment of groceries, personal care items, clothing, outerwear, gifts, books, and toys. All clients are pre-qualified by partnering agencies, complete an application, and have scheduled an appointment to shop.
Because of the increasing number of residents facing poverty in Johnson County, demand for Christmas Bureau services has swelled. More than 3,000 volunteers, many of them seniors, will donate their time through mid-December to make the Holiday Shop a success.
Here's how you, too, can help:
Donate items in one of the 70 donation barrels at locations throughout Johnson County. The Christmas Bureau requests that all donated items be new, with the exception of gently worn coats and books. The most-needed items include:
- Gloves for men, boys, and women
- Teen gifts such as sports balls, sleeping bags, small electronics, and arts and crafts
- Adult gifts such as small appliances, sheet sets, blankets, and tools
- Educational toys, building sets, and popular "theme" toys
- Personal care items such as shampoo, soap, dental supplies, diapers, and household cleaning supplies
- Coats in all sizes, from infant to extra-large adult
- Non-perishable groceries such as peanut butter, pasta, canned goods, flour, and cereal
Donate financially. Cash donations may be made online at jccb.org, or checks may be mailed to PO Box 14786, Lenexa, KS 66285. The cost to "fund a family of four" is $150.
Help at the Holiday Shop. Work during the shopping period or help with the take-down process afterward.